Tuesday, July 05, 2011


Better choices



Ever since I found out that I had cysts, I've been trying to be more conscious of trying to make better choices when it comes to the quality of life.

Sure, everyone makes their resolutions at the beginning of the year. Me, I'm a rebel you see, always living life on the edge, making resolutions in JULY. :o)

I'm trying to eat healthier. Less of eating outside food. Less of deep fried food fried in reused oil. Less MSG. Less processed meat. Less starchy carbs. Less sugar. When we cook at home, we try to keep it simple too, and I do like simple food where you can taste the ingredients. We never use MSG at home because we never found the need to. 

I'm trying to not drink too much of coffee either. I started with 1 cup a day and last year I was getting used to 2 cups a day.. and I've now cut it back to 1 cup a day again. I do get sleepy after lunch but I have to consciously force myself to reach for green tea instead.

For the past 2 days, I've been taking a small breakfast in the morning (cereal and milk, my favourite!), followed by a juice of green apple, Sabah snake grass and lemon. My parents got the Sabah snake grass for me last week after I told them about the cysts. I know, what a weird name for a plant heheh. I'm supposed to take it every morning after breakfast.

I'm also trying to be a better person. Spend time with the people that matter. Be generous with encouragement. Trying not to fight over stupid things. 

My grandpa is in the hospital now and I try to make it a point to see him on weekends just to try and feed him a meal or massage his legs or shoulders or something... anything! He has short term memory loss, but it seems that over the past few weeks while he was in the hospital, he seems to remember more than the usual. Apparently it's because he's now constantly being in the company of a lot of his family members, so it helps trigger and motivate his memory to work harder than usual (this is something Chak told me yesterday).

I'm trying to make better choices for leading this life of mine somewhere. 

It's no mind-blowing manifesto. 

No comments: