Monday, March 15, 2010

The sewing tenggiling

Thanks to more inspiration from other awesome sewing bloggers, here are a couple of projects I've been working on lately...

The outfit below is a bit 'formal' for me to wear to work, so I'd probably pair the jersey top with something more casual next time, like, a coconut husk skirt or something. The cream jersey top was a pain to make (but I swore on my thighs I'd finish it!!! Just not sure why I swore on my thighs...), but as with me and stretchy material, it's a good learning experience. 

I bought the gold zipper from a sewing shop at Pasar Besar Seremban (the only place you can find the most awesome Seremban beef noodles!! droooool~~~), and when the aunty said it was RM1.20, I was like "HUH? SO CHEAP?" because my kiamsiap mind was racing like a hantu gila babi getting excited about making my own exposed zipper skirt/top/something. The black material is from Kamdar SS2, and was around 6 or 8 bucks for half a metre, which I used every bit of it. I like this fabric because it doesn't crease as easily as cotton when you sit down.

Still not very good with handling jersey, guess I should really do some research on it one day hehe. Felt the neckline was a bit plain, so added these stringy jersey strips on it. The nice thing about jersey is that they roll themselves up on the edges :-)

This evening, the husband was watching the first F1 race of the season. Hamilton fired his dad! Hmmm.. Anyway, totally unrelated to the race, but I decided to make a long wallet/purse thingy to replace my current one, which the husband got for me a year plus back. I still love the one he got me, but it's getting a bit 'chan' and I don't want to put it through anymore wear and tear :-(

So I sewed furiously like a tenggiling on a roll and came up with this:

I fell in LOVE with this material at Sham Shui Po, coz it reminds me of that BAPE! It's a pretty thick material, so I was worried that I might break my #13 needles, but luckily none died in the line of duty. I browsed a couple of tutorials online, but in the end just made up the pattern as I went along.. as usual, too lazy to follow people's measurements! -_-" Oh and this hearts fabric was only RM9 per yard! GOODNESS GRACIOUS! I think it was at that moment that I fell in love with Sham Shui Po.



The black and white material on the inside was also from Sham Shui Po. A tip for going fabric shopping in Sham Shui Po is to look out for a box outside every fabric shop-- they usually throw scraps into a box and sell it for real cheap. And by scraps I mean at least half a yard, or maybe just a little bit less than a yard! So this black and white fabric was purchased with 2 other designs, I think it probably came up to a total of 1.5 yards (at the very least), and it was only RM5. 

RM5!!!! @_@ 


Here's all the jambalaya that goes into it! There's a polaroid in there of the husband and Jiggles :-)

No comments: