Friday, February 20, 2009

Sew yea, I finally finished it!

When I was in secondary school, we had to take Kemahiran Hidup, and I always looked forward to the sewing classes. First we sewed an apron, and then erm I forgot what else we sewed in class, but I started sewing pencil cases and bags. Once I pinjamed Huei Weun's bag coz it was nice and I copied the design (as closely as I could anyway) and made my own version. I wonder where is that bag now. I did enjoy sewing a lot. (On a side note, one of my friend accidentally got her thumb poked right down with the needle on the machine during Kemahiran Hidup. The needle went right through the thumb and until today when I think about it, it still makes me go @_@)

Lately, I've been picking up sewing again. My first project was a reversible mini grocery bag, then I sewed a pillow for the boyfriend (with 100% original cotton stuffing, chewahh), then I made curtains for my room (a bit senget HEH HEH), and my latest (and toughest) project was reconstructing a tube dress into a high-waisted skirt!

The tube dress - ribboned bust, empire kinda cutting that makes me look like a sack.

Actually I bought the tube dress impulsively at a bazaar without trying it on (the usual woman excuse), and when I went back, I realised the the dress didn't fit me well :-( Was gonna sell it off on my preloved blog, but then I liked the dark preppy chekered print, so I decided to experiment with the scissors! (Ohhh I bought the sewing kit from Ikea, it's my prized possession now, I beam at the sight of the big scissors!)

As usual, when you're lazy to draw out your own blueprint for the sewing pattern, just copy and modify la HAHA. I hate drawing out sewing patterns -_-" I think I should try to like it.

So I copied the pattern of a dress that I had, and got to work with the skirt. So yay, I have my own high waisted skirt now.


It's got 3 panels in the front, and an attached sash. The back is smocked (thanks to the smocking that came with the tube dress). And the sash can be tied in more than one way.

Sorry for the bad pic and the bad bow tying skills. If the skirt looks crumpled, it's not because I didn't iron it Eevon!! :-P I promise I did. The night before. Sorta.

I like shopping for fabric, Kamdar and Ikea are my new favourite hangouts. Does that make me sad. HAHAHAAH

7 comments:

Eevon Chung said...

I wan a high-waisted skirt tooooooooo...

Good job on the ironing!

nwcx said...

very nice improvisation :)
Can't wait to see more ori stuff. hehe.

spaceman said...

Housewife transformation 80% complete...

chiiiiing said...

gee thanks.. hahah.. my housewife transformation cant beat navin's.. hehehehe

spaceman said...

*flips chingz the finger while chopping up some onions*

Eevon Chung said...

Navin: Thank God. 10% manhood still intact. Hahahahaa =P

Lounge Lizard said...

If ever The Lard Brothers go on a world tour, can we hire you as the tour stylist and seamtress?